Get help now Make a donation

Health and social care rights

Explains your rights to health and social care for your mental health. Includes information on eligibility for social care and how local authorities may meet your needs.

Mind's services

  • Mind's Legal Line provides legal information and general advice by phone. 
  • Local Minds offer face-to-face services across England and Wales. These services include talking therapies, peer support and advocacy.

How to find an advocate

To find advocacy services and groups in your area, you could call Mind's Legal Line on 0300 466 6463 or contact your local Mind.

If you're in hospital, you can also contact the:

In some situations, you may be legally entitled to the support of an advocate. For more information, see our page on your legal rights to advocacy.

Other organisations

Carers Trust
Information and support for people caring for someone else.

Carers UK

0808 808 7777
029 2081 1370 (Carers Wales)
[email protected]
Advice and support for anyone who provides care.

Lists government services and information.

Health in Wales
Information about health problems and treatments, including details of local NHS services in Wales.

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
The final stage for complaints about councils and some other organisations providing local public services.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

0345 015 4033
Makes final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England and UK government departments.

Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

0300 790 0203
Looks into complaints about public services and independent care providers in Wales.

This information was published in February 2023. We will revise it in 2026.

References are available on request. If you would like to reproduce any of this information, see our page on permissions and licensing.

arrow_upwardBack to Top