for better mental health


Gives information that may help if you have experienced abuse.

Considering counselling

The organisations below can help you find a suitably qualified counsellor. You might also want to read our information on talking treatments.

Useful contacts

British Association of Art Therapists
Professional body for visual art therapists. Provides information about art therapy and a register of accredited therapists.

British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
Information about cognitive behavioural therapy and related treatments, including details of accredited therapists.

British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
Professional body for talking therapy and counselling. Provides information and a list of accredited therapists.

Counselling Directory
Online directory of professionally registered counsellors and psychotherapists.

UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
Professional body for the education, training and accreditation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Provides online register of psychotherapists offering different talking treatments privately.

This information was published in November 2016. 

References are available on request. If you would like to reproduce any of this information, see our page on permissions and licensing.

Share this information

arrow_upwardBack to Top