Clinical negligence

Explains what clinical negligence is, how to make a complaint about clinical negligence and where to find more information and support.

Your stories

Healthy talks with Conservatives in Manchester

Ally Cobb, Mind Senior Policy and Campaigns officer
Posted on 03/10/2013

Taking care of business at Mind

Emma Mamo
Posted on 04/10/2013

Reflecting on a tough year

Tom reflects on 2013, and the work that the Policy and Campaigns team has been doing on a number of issues.

Tom Pollard, Policy and Campaigns Manager
Posted on 16/12/2013

Useful contacts

Mind Legal Line

0300 466 6463 (Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 6.00 pm)

[email protected]

The Mind Legal Line can provide you with legal information and general advice.

Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA)

Freedman House
Christopher Wren Yard
117 High Street
Helpline 0845 123 2352 (Monday to Friday, 10.00 am to 3.30pm)

AvMA is a UK charity that provides free, independent advice and support to people affected by medical accidents. They have a helpline and can put you in contact with specialist solicitors if appropriate.

Law Centres Network

Law Centres offer legal advice, casework and representation to individuals and groups. To find your local Law Centre, you can look at their interactive Google map or see the Law Centres list.

For legal advice enquiries,visit the I am looking for advice page on their website.


LawWorks is a legal charity that lists on its website the Free Legal Advice Clinics in England and Wales. These clinics can give you one-off, face-to-face advice if you have legal problems about consumer disputes, housing, social welfare law or employment.

NHS Resolution

Part of the NHS. Aims to resolve clinical negligence complaints involving the NHS, and to help to prevent the same thing happening again.

Putting Things Right

Putting Things Right is the process for managing medical negligence concerns in NHS Wales.

The Law Society

020 7242 1222 (England)
029 2064 5254 (Wales)

The Law Society provides details of solicitors in your area that you can contact for specialist legal advice.

Where can I get support?

Local Mind

Local Minds support over 280,000 people across England and Wales. Their services include supported housing, crisis helplines, drop-in centres, employment and training schemes, counselling and befriending. They may be able to help you find advocacy services in your area.

Find your local Mind here.

Find an advocate

An advocate is a person who can both listen to you and speak for you in times of need. Having an advocate can be helpful in situations where you are finding it difficult to make your views known, or to make people listen to them and take them into account.

For information on advocacy services and groups in your area, you could start by contacting the Mind Legal Line and your local Mind. You can also contact the Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) in England, or the Community Health Council in Wales.

Read more about how advocacy might help you.

This information was published in November 2018. We will revise it in 2020.

Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today