Clinical negligence

Explains what clinical negligence is, how to make a complaint about clinical negligence and where to find more information and support.

Your stories

Healthy talks with Conservatives in Manchester

Ally Cobb, Mind Senior Policy and Campaigns officer
Posted on 03/10/2013

Taking care of business at Mind

Emma Mamo
Posted on 04/10/2013

Reflecting on a tough year

Tom reflects on 2013, and the work that the Policy and Campaigns team has been doing on a number of issues.

Tom Pollard, Policy and Campaigns Manager
Posted on 16/12/2013


Generally, doctors and health professionals will take good care of you when you're being treated. However, sometimes things can go wrong.

If they are negligent when giving you medical treatment, this is called 'clinical negligence', and you may have the right to get compensation for it.

Quick facts

  • To prove negligence, you need to show that a healthcare professional failed in their duty to take care of you, and you experienced a damage or loss as a result of that failure. Damage or loss can include both physical and psychiatric injury, as well as financial loss.
  • If you've experienced clinical negligence, you could make a complaint about it by speaking to someone informally, or by making a formal complaint. It’s usually much easier to solve something informally or through a formal complaint than by making a legal challenge.
  • If speaking to someone informally or making a formal complaint hasn't worked or isn't appropriate, you may want to make a legal challenge. This means you'll need to go to court. You'll need to start the legal claim within three years from the date of the incident or from when you knew the injury was negligent
  • If your claim is successful, the court can award you money as compensation, known as damages. Damages can include compensation for cost of pain and suffering, and loss of earnings.

Please note

  • This guide covers clinical negligence from the point of view of a person with a mental health problem.
  • This guide applies to England and Wales.
  • This guide contains general legal information, not legal advice. We recommend you get advice from a specialist legal adviser or solicitor who will help you with your individual situation and needs. See useful contacts for more information.

This information was published in November 2018. We will revise it in 2020.

Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today