Get help now Make a donation

Parenting with a mental health problem

Explains difficulties you may face as a parent with a mental health problem, support available and suggestions on how to help yourself and your children.

Could my child be taken into care?

Some parents with mental health problems worry that their child will be taken into care. This can be upsetting, and can increase stress and worry for you and your family.

This section explains more about when children could be taken into care and what would happen.

Will my child be taken into care?

There are several important points to remember:

  • Children are only taken into care in extreme circumstances – this will only happen if other forms of support haven't worked, or if social services feel you cannot keep your children safe.
  • Being in contact with social services doesn't mean your child will be taken into care – social services can provide a wide range of support to help you look after your children yourself. For many parents, this is a positive experience.
  • If your child is taken into care, it doesn't mean it is permanent – care is often temporary until you are well enough to look after them yourself again.
  • Unless it's an emergency, your child cannot be taken into care straight away – you would receive many warnings and be given months of notice that the care process is beginning.

For more information on what would happen if a child was going to be taken into care, see Citizens Advice.

Getting support if your child is taken into care

It is really important that you don't go through this process alone. There are lots of things to think about and different types of support that can help you through it.

  • Make sure you are aware of your legal rights – information on local authority care and kinship care are available on the GOV.UK, Citizens Advice, Family Rights Group and Grandparents Plus websites.
  • Get a solicitor who specialises in childcare law to help you with the legal process – ask your social worker how to do this or check the GOV.UK website. You will be able to get free advice and representation from a solicitor, no matter what money you have coming in, what savings you have or whether you own your home.
  • Make sure you get continued mental health support to manage your mental health – talk to your GP or community mental health team (CMHT) about what might help.
  • Make sure that you understand any treatment plan your social worker has given you. Talk to your social worker, GP or a mental health worker if you don't understand or disagree with any part it.
  • You may want to contact a support charity for families involved with social services, such as the Family Rights Group, for information and advice.
  • You may also benefit from talking therapy to help you deal with any difficult feelings you have.

"Sometimes I worry about how my mental health problems affect my ability to parent my children – and then I look at them and see how tolerant, kind, caring and understanding they are towards others. It's then that I remember I've still done a good job!"

This information was published in April 2019. We will revise it in 2022.

References and bibliography available on request.

If you want to reproduce this content, see our permissions and licensing page.

Share this information

arrow_upwardBack to Top