Search and rescue - seeking help for a mental health problem

A guide for search and rescue service staff and volunteers on how to seek professional help for a mental health problem.

Your stories

What is mental health and mental wellbeing?

Taryn blogs about mental health and wellbeing. What do they mean to you?

Taryn Ozorio
Posted on 24/01/2011

Are there alternatives to the NHS and the private sector?

Although the NHS is the largest provider of health care in the UK, there are other options for getting support to help you cope with a mental health problem.

Your search and rescue organisation

Find out if your organisation has any specialist support available, for example counselling, or advice services.

Voluntary, community and charity sector organisations

These include:

  • local Minds
  • counselling centres
  • community or charity organisations

These kinds of services are normally free or low cost, and can offer a range of support, such as:

However, they are not likely to:

  • provide medical services, like psychiatry
  • prescribe medication

How do I find these kind of services?

  • Mind's Blue Light Infoline can give you details of mental health help and support in your area.
  • Your occupational health unit might have information about services.
  • Your GP or health care provider might also be able to give you details of more local organisations.

You can often self-refer to these services, and you may also be referred by your GP.

This information was published in September 2015. We will revise it in 2018.

Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today