The Equality Act applies when you are:
- applying for a job
- at work, including areas of working life such as
- your pay
- your terms and conditions of employment
- sickness absence
- opportunities for training or other benefits
- dismissed (including being made redundant)
- a former employee or worker in certain circumstances.
It can protect you if you are:
- an employee
- an apprentice
- a contract worker.
What type of work is not covered by the Equality Act?
The Equality Act does not protect you if you are:
- an unpaid volunteer
- genuinely self-employed.
This information was published in March 2018. We will revise it in 2020.