Discrimination at work

Explains what laws protect you from discrimination at work, what you can do if you are discriminated against, and where you can get support and advice. Applies to England and Wales.

Your stories

The truth about bullying and mental health

Jenni reflects on her experiences of bullying and the impact it has had on her mental health.

Jenni Richardson
Posted on 11/11/2013

Support from my manager made all the difference

Lorna blogs about how her line manager was able to support her with her mental health at work.

Posted on 15/07/2013

Why management needs mental health training

Krishna blogs about the importance of mental health training for employers.

Posted on 25/07/2013

Useful contacts

Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)

0300 123 1100 (8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-1pm Saturday)

ACAS provides information, advice, training, conciliation and other services for employers and employees to help prevent or resolve workplace problems. They offer a free Early Conciliation service.

If you want to take a disability discrimination challenge against your employer at the Employment Tribunal, you will need to go to ACAS and get a conciliation certificate.

You can call their telephone helpline to get advice about your employment rights.

Civil Legal Advice (CLA)

0845 345 4345

The Civil Legal Advice can tell you if you’re eligible for legal aid and can give you free and confidential legal advice in England and Wales.

Employment Tribunal

Public enquiry line (England and Wales): 0300 123 1024
Postal address for sending fees and ET forms:
Employment Tribunal Central Office
PO Box 10218

The Employment Tribunal decides disputes between employers and employees about employment rights. They have a public enquiry line to answer general queries, provide information about tribunal publications and explain how the tribunal system works.

The government also publish this guide to making a claim to an employment tribunal.

The Equality and Advisory Support Service (EASS)

Tel: 0808 800 0082
Text: 0808 800 0084
Monday to Friday 9am-8pm
Saturday 10am-2pm

The helpline can advise and assist you on issues relating to equality and human rights, across England, Scotland and Wales.

There is a special form on its website for reporting employers who ask pre-employment questions.

Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)


The EHRC is responsible for monitoring and protecting human rights in Britain. It has useful advice and information about legal rights and discrimination on its website.

The website also has copies of the Equality Act 2010 Statutory Code of Practice for services and the Equality Act 2010 Statutory Code of Practice for Employment which give helpful guidance on how to apply the Equality Act.

Fit for Work


Advice line  0800 032 6235

Government funded occupational health service providing work-related health advice to employers, employees and GPs. There is a live chat facility on their website.

Law Centres Network


Law Centres offer legal advice, casework and representation to individuals and groups. To find your local Law Centre, you can look at their interactive Google map or see the Law Centres list.

For legal advice enquiries,visit the I am looking for advice page on their website.

The Law Society

020 7242 1222 (England)
029 2064 5254 (Wales)

The Law Society provides details of solicitors in your area that you can contact for specialist legal advice.



LawWorks is a legal charity that lists on its website the Free Legal Advice Clinics in England and Wales. These clinics can give you one-off, face-to-face advice if you have legal problems about consumer disputes, housing, social welfare law or employment.

Office for Disability Issues


This is part of the Department of Work and Pensions and supports the development of policies to remove inequality between disabled people and non-disabled people. It has produced useful guidance on how you work out whether you have a disability.

Where can I get more support?

Local Mind

Local Mind services may include crisis helplines, drop-in centres, employment and training schemes, counselling and befriending. They may be able to help you find advocacy services in your area.

Find your local Mind here.

Find an advocate

An advocate is a person who can both listen to you and speak for you in times of need. Having an advocate can be helpful in situations where you are finding it difficult to make your views known, or to make people listen to them and take them into account.

For information on advocacy services and groups in your area, you could start by contacting the Mind Legal Line and your local Mind.

Read more about how advocacy might help you.


This information was published in March 2018. We will revise it in 2020.

Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today