Get help now Make a donation

DBS checks and your mental health

Explains what a DBS check is, and what you can do if you are unhappy with the information held about you by the police, including information about your mental health.

Mind's services

  • Mind's Legal Line provides legal information and general advice by phone and email. 
  • Local Minds offer face-to-face services across England and Wales. These services include talking therapies, peer support and advocacy.

Find an advocate

To find advocacy services and groups in your area, you could call Mind's Legal Line or contact your local Mind.

If you're in hospital, you can also contact:

In some circumstances, you may be legally entitled to get the support of an advocate. See our page on your legal rights to advocacy for more information.

Other organisations

Disclosure and Barring Service

03000 200 190 (English)
03000 200 191 (Welsh)
03000 200 192 (Minicom)
The Disclosure and Barring Service is the public agency responsible for processing requests for criminal record checks. They run a helpline for questions about DBS checks.

Independent Monitor

The Independent Monitor is an independent body responsible for reviewing disputes from applicants regarding local police information disclosed on enhanced DBS Certificates.You can get in touch with them by emailing [email protected]

Law Society
Professional association for solicitors in England and Wales. Includes a searchable directory of solicitors.


01634 247 350
07824 113 848 (Text or WhatsApp)
Unlock is a charity that supports with convictions who face challenges because of their criminal record. They have online information resources and offer a helpline service.

This information was published in November 2018.

This page is currently under review. All content was accurate when published. 

References are available on request. If you would like to reproduce any of this information, see our page on permissions and licensing.

Share this information

arrow_upwardBack to Top