Get help now Make a donation

Student life and mental health

Explains how you can look after your mental health as a student, giving practical suggestions for what you can do and where you can go for support.

Mind's services

  • Mind's helplines provide information and support by phone and email.
  • Local Minds offer face-to-face services across England and Wales. These services include talking therapies, peer support and advocacy.
  • Side by Side is our supportive online community for anyone experiencing a mental health problem.


Carers UK

0808 808 7777
029 2081 1370 (Carers Wales)
[email protected]
Advice and support for anyone who provides care.

Nightline Association
Lists contact information for helplines and listening services in universities and colleges across the UK.


0800 068 41 41
07860039967 (text)
[email protected]
Confidential support for under-35s at risk of suicide and others who are concerned about them. Open 24 hours, 7 days a week.


116 123 (freephone)
[email protected]

Samaritans are open 24/7 for anyone who needs to talk. You can visit some Samaritans branches in person. Samaritans also have a Welsh Language Line on 0808 164 0123 (7pm–11pm every day).

Student Minds

0808 808 4994
Mental health charity that supports students. Runs Student Space, offering online information and helpline support delivered in partnership with The Mix.

Students Against Depression
Information and support for students experiencing suicidal feelings, including a helpful safety plan template.

University Mental Health Advisors Network (UMHAN)
Network for mental health advisors working in education. Website also has information for students.


0808 802 5544 (Parents Helpline)
85258 (text the word 'shout')
Provides advice and support to young people for their mental health, as well as supporting parents and carers.

Money advice

The Money Charity
Information and advice about managing your money, including resources and workshops for young people and students.


0800 138 7777 (English)
0800 138 0555 (Welsh)
18001 0800 915 4622 (text relay)
Provides free and impartial money advice.

Health services

NHS Choices – Student Health
Advice on student health issues.

NHS Services Finder (England) (Wales)
Searchable database of NHS services.

Student advice

Careers Wales

0800 028 4844
Information, advice and guidance about learning, training and work for people who live in Wales.

Citizens Advice

0800 144 8848 (England Adviceline)
0800 702 2020 (Wales Adviceline)
18001 0800 144 8884 (textphone)
Free, confidential information and advice on your rights, including money, housing, experiences of discrimination and other problems.

National Careers Service
Information, advice and guidance about learning, training and work.

National Union of Students
Promotes and defends the rights of students.

Not Going To Uni
Information about alternatives to university. Includes a search tool for current opportunities.

Office for Students
Information and guidance for students from the independent regulator of higher education in England.

Open University

Offers flexible, part-time or full-time study and distance learning, including some free online courses.

Save the Student
Information and advice about managing your money as a student.

The Student Room
Information for students and the UK's largest online student community.

Processes applications for higher education courses in the UK.

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)
Advice and guidance for international students and the institutions, students' unions and organisations who work closely with them.

Support for care leavers

Support for children in care and young care leavers.

Rees Foundation
Support for care leavers, including regional peer networks.

Support for alcohol and drugs problems


0300 123 6600
Confidential advice and information about drugs, their effects and the law.

We Are With You
Supports people with drug, alcohol or mental health problems, and their friends and family.

Support for disabled students


0808 808 1111 (Learning Disability Helpline)
Information and advice for people with a learning disability, their families and carers. Services include an online community.

National Autistic Society
Support and guidance for autistic people and their families. Campaigns for improved rights, services and opportunities. This includes an:


Support for LGBTQIA+ students

In addition to the list below, it's also worth finding out what your university or student union offers. They may have an LGBTQIA+ society, network or peer support group you can join. 

We have more information about LGBTQIA+ mental health. This includes a list of useful contacts.

Gendered Intelligence
Charity supporting young trans people aged under 25, and information for their parents and carers.


0808 801 0400
Supports gender-diverse young people aged 19 and under, and their families and carers. Offers a helpline and and webchat. 

Mental health service run by and for LGBTQ+ people.

The Open Minds Project
A place for LGBTQIA+ people with Punjabi and South Asian heritage to connect. 

Support for students of colour

Choosing our words

There is no 'one size fits all' language for talking about race and identity.

Group labels bundle many identities and experiences together. This obscures the fact that people in these groups don't all have the same experience of race. And we don't all face the same challenges.

Black People Talk
Provides resources and brings black communities together to support their mental health. You can ask them to deliver peer support groups and workshops at your university.

Muslim Youth Helpline

0808 808 2008
Provides faith and culturally sensitive support to young Muslims by phone, live chat, WhatsApp and email.

Creates spaces for mental health education and awareness for Punjabi communities.

If racism is affecting your mental health, our racism information offers advice and support. It highlights the impact of racism on mental health and support services. It can help you choose how and where to seek help.

This information was published in March 2023. We will revise it in 2026.

References and bibliography available on request.

If you want to reproduce this content, see our permissions and licensing page.

arrow_upwardBack to Top