Get help now Make a donation

Fitness to drive

Explains the rights that you have to drive, what information you need to tell the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and how to appeal if your driving licence is taken away.

How do I tell the DVLA about my mental health problem?

If you are applying for your first driving licence (including provisional) or applying to renew your licence, there is a section on the application form which asks questions about your health. You should use this part of the form to tell the DVLA about your mental health problem.

If you already have a driving licence and are diagnosed with a mental health problem which you doctor says you need to tell the DVLA about, you need to fill in a form and send this to the DVLA: see What form do I need to fill in?

You also need to tell the DVLA if the symptoms of a mental health problem that you have already told them about gets worse.

What form do I need to fill in?

You need to fill in one of the DVLA's medical questionnaires with details of:

  • your diagnosis
  • any medication you are prescribed
  • how the medication you take makes you feel

If you drive a car or motorcycle you should use the M1 online form on the website to tell the DVLA about a diagnosis of:

The form also has a page for you to sign to give your permission to the DVLA to obtain details of your medical condition from your doctor. It is important that you fill in this form and give the DVLA permission to obtain details from your doctor because if you do not the DVLA could revoke your licence anyway.

This information was published in April 2018. 

This page is currently under review. All content was accurate when published. 

References are available on request. If you would like to reproduce any of this information, see our page on permissions and licensing.

Share this information

arrow_upwardBack to Top