Get help now Make a donation

Discrimination when buying, renting or living in property

Explains what laws protect you from discrimination when you buy, rent, or live in a property (or place), what you can do if you have been discriminated against, and where you can get support and advice.


Sometimes people are treated worse because of their mental health problem. This is called discrimination and, if you experience it when you are renting, buying or living in a property (or place), you may have a legal right to challenge it.

Quick facts

  • The Equality Act 2010 is the law that gives you the right to challenge discrimination. This law may protect you from discrimination when you:
    • buy, rent or live in property (covered in these pages)
    • are at work, applying for a job, made redundant or dismissed (see our legal pages on discrimination at work)
    • use services or public functions (see our legal pages on discrimination in everyday life)
    • are in education
    • join some private clubs and associations.
  • To get protection under the Equality Act, you usually need to show that your mental health problem is a disability. 'Disability' has a special legal meaning under the Equality Act. To find out if your mental health problem is considered a disability, see our page on disability.
  • You can ask your landlord or manager of the property to make reasonable adjustments for you.
  • If your landlord is a public authority, they will have an additional duty to eliminate discrimination, called the public sector equality duty.
  • If you think you have experienced disability discrimination when buying, renting or living in a property, there are several things you can do to make a complaint.

We believe that when you're living with a mental health problem, you need somewhere you can call home. Find out more about Mind's campaigning work on housing and mental health.

This information was published in December 2017.

This page is currently under review. All content was accurate when published. 

References are available on request. If you would like to reproduce any of this information, see our page on permissions and licensing.

Share this information

arrow_upwardBack to Top