Get help now Make a donation

Mental health helplines

If you need to talk right now, there are many helplines staffed by trained people ready to listen. They won't judge you, and could help you make sense of what you're feeling.

Many listening services let you talk for as long as you need. This page lists some options to try.

Mind support line

Call Mind's support line on 0300 102 1234.

This is a safe space for you to talk about your mental health. Our advisors are trained to listen to you and help you find specialist support if you need it.

We're open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).


You can contact Samaritans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year:

Samaritans is there for anyone who wants to talk. 


If you're experiencing a mental health problem or supporting someone else, you can call SANEline on 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm–10pm every day).

National Suicide Prevention Helpline UK

Offers a supportive listening service to anyone with thoughts of suicide. You can call the National Suicide Prevention Helpline UK on 0800 689 5652 (6pm to midnight every day).

Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) 

You can call the CALM on 0800 58 58 58 (5pm–midnight every day) if you're affected by suicide or suicidal thoughts. Or if you prefer not to speak on the phone, you could try the CALM webchat service.


If you would prefer not to talk but want some mental health support, you could text SHOUT to 85258. Shout offers a confidential 24/7 text service providing support if you are in crisis and need immediate help.


If you're under 35 and struggling with suicidal feelings, or concerned about a young person who might be struggling, you can call Papyrus HOPELINEUK on 0800 068 4141 (24 hours, 7 days a week), email [email protected] or text 07786 209 697.


If you're a student, you can look on the Nightline website to see if your university or college offers a night-time listening service. Nightline phone operators are all students too.


If you identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender, you can call Switchboard on 0300 330 0630 (10am–10pm every day), email [email protected] or use their webchat service. Phone operators all identify as LGBT+.


If you live in Wales, you can call the Community Advice and Listening Line (C.A.L.L.) on 0800 132 737 (open 24/7) or you can text 'help' followed by a question to 81066.

Helplines Partnership

For more options, visit the Helplines Partnership website for a directory of UK helplines. If you're outside the UK, the Befrienders Worldwide website has a tool to search by country for emotional support helplines around the world.

Local NHS mental health crisis helplines

If you live in England, your local NHS should have a mental health crisis number you can call. To find the number use the NHS urgent mental health helpline finder on the NHS website. You will need to know your postcode. 

If you live in Wales, you can contact NHS 111 and select option 2. This will put you through to an NHS helpline offering 24/7 urgent mental health support. Visit the NHS 111 Wales website to find out more about this service.

Once a girl actually answered the phone and kept me talking through my thoughts and suicidal feelings for almost three hours! To her I shall be eternally grateful!

Before calling a helpline

You might want to consider:

  • What times are they open?
  • Is it free to call or is there a cost involved?
  • Is what you say confidential? For example, many services have policies on what to do if someone says they have attempted suicide or are actively planning to.
  • What will you do if the line is busy? It's often worth trying several times, or you might plan to call back later or try a different service.

You might be able to find this information on the organisation's website, or you could ask the advisor to explain their policies during the call.

I saw the number of a charity crisis line (similar to Samaritans), phoned and someone listened and had time, which actually helped me.

If you can't talk on the phone

As well as phone numbers to call, some organisations offer support in other ways – which could include emails, messages or web chat.

Or you might need to make a specific request.

  • Some organisations are required to make reasonable adjustments for people with disabilities, which could include providing other forms of communication. See our guide to disability discrimination for more information.
  • If you have difficulty hearing or speaking, it might help to use the Next Generation Text Service (NGTS) Typetalk/Text Relay app on a mobile device or computer.
  • If you need a translator or British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter, you could ask the organisation if they provide a translation service and if it costs anything to use.

This information was published in October 2018.

This page is currently under review. All content was accurate when published. 

References and bibliography available on request.

If you want to reproduce this content, see our permissions and licensing page.

arrow_upwardBack to Top