We have been campaigning for equal access to in-work support for people with mental health problems through a scheme called Access to Work. At present, it is far easier to gain this support if you have a physical health problem. We don't think this is fair.
We are therefore pleased that in March 2015, the Government announced they will be taking steps to change this. This includes making access to support more straightforward and increasing the awareness of employers of support available. The type of support available includes:
- a support worker of job coach to help you in your workplace
- a support service if you have a mental health condition and you're absent from work or finding it difficult to work
- mental health awareness training for your colleagues
- a communicator at a job interview
- fares to work if you can't use public transport.
We know there are lots more issues to resolve in supporting people to work, but this is a step forward.
Find out more about Access to Work here.
Read the Government announcement here.