Mind in Harrow are currently recruiting volunteers to work on up to three of our projects:
On Your Side Peer Advocates: Providing one to one emotional and practical support by accompanying clients to welfare benefit and mental health appointments. Empowering clients to express their wishes to professionals and ensuring they receive adequate support.
Helpline Volunteers: To support the provision of the Mind in Harrow Information Service and Support & Wellbeing Information Service Harrow (SWiSH), as appropriate for a volunteer role, between opening hours 9am and 5pm Mon-Fri, except on public holidays.
Mental Health Champions: The Mental Health Champion role involves campaigning, monitoring mental health services, meeting and working with service users, and co production opportunities, and attending forums and social events.
All Candidates will initially be asked for a face to face interview if they meet the criteria and would be expected to attend four weekday training sessions (10am-4pm) on 13th, 20th, 27th February & 5th March 2020. Failure to attend any of the training days, will result in a role not being offered.
- Providing practical and emotional support to service users over the phone and face to face
- To provide signposting options on the phone in person, via email or post to callers on local and national services relating to mental health problems
- To uphold the confidentiality policy of the service
- To keep relevant records of calls and fulfil required administration procedures in line with Mind in Harrow policy
- To conduct an initial risk assessment of callers, as appropriate, and refer to Senior Duty Cover to support any person potentially at risk.
- Aged over 18 years and over
- Be within 30 minutes travelling distance of Harrow-on-the-Hill
- Have direct or indirect lived experience of mental health difficulties
- Able to provide two satisfactory references and Enhanced DBS application with documentation
- Excellent Active Listening Skills
- Possess a non-judgmental attitude and have capacity to learn and self-reflect
- Ability to support people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Competent in the use of computer - Word, email & online research
- Willing to commit a minimum of 4-8 hours per week for a period of 1 year
- Reliable, flexible, empathic
Our Application form can be downloaded from our website here
Completed applications to be sent directly to [email protected] and [email protected]
Call Leah or Raksha on 0208 426 0929 for further information.