Get help now Make a donation

Complain to the media

If you have seen inappropriate coverage of mental health in the media, you can make a complaint.

When done well, media coverage plays a valuable role in helping promote awareness around mental wellbeing. But bad reporting can contribute to misunderstanding and negative attitudes towards people who experience mental health problems.

If you've seen or heard media coverage that you deem to be discriminatory or offensive, you can make a complaint in the following ways:

Print media

If you have a complaint about coverage you have seen in a newspaper, magazine, or on a news website, email or write to the editor. If they do not respond within a week or if you are not satisfied with their response, consider making a complaint to the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO).

IPSO is the regulator for the newspaper and magazine industries in the UK, dealing with complaints about coverage in the printed media and their websites. They produce a code of practice for print journalists setting down the standards of reporting they should adhere to. They can consider whether the media coverage in question is in breach of that code, and if so, take the complaint forward.

You will need to keep hold of a hard copy of the coverage to post to IPSO, or provide an image of the coverage you can send via email.

Contact IPSO

Tel: 0300 123 2220

Address: Halton House, 20/23 Holborn, London EC1N 2JD

IPSO provides information for the public, including court reporting (aimed at witnesses, people accused of a crime, and families of those accused of a crime), press reporting on a death (including inquests) and journalism and the use of information taken from social media (such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).

Television and radio

If you would like to make a complaint about something you've seen or heard on TV and/or radio, you can complain to the broadcaster directly or you can complain to the industry regulator, Ofcom. Many broadcasters will outline how to complain on their websites. If you want to complain about a TV or radio programme that hasn't been broadcast yet, you will need to complain to the broadcaster directly, as Ofcom only deals with complaints after a programme has aired.

Other ways to get involved

arrow_upwardBack to Top