This page refers to our campaign for the General Election in 2017. Find out more about what we’re asking for in the 2019 General Election and how you can get involved. It’s time for leaders to press play on mental health.
- Our priorities will include transforming mental health care with waiting time standards to match those in physical health care.
- We will ringfence funding to provide additional investment in mental health.
- We will guarantee that people will not wait more than six weeks for therapy for depression or anxiety and no young person will wait more than two weeks for treatment when they experience a first episode of psychosis.
- Ensure that no one in crisis is turned away, with new waiting time standards and better crisis care in accident and emergency departments.
- End out-of-area placements, ensuring those admitted to hospital for mental ill-health are able to be treated close to home.
- Ensure that LGBT+ inclusive mental health services receive funding and support.
- We will scrap the discredited Work Capability Assessment and replace it with a new system run by local authorities according to national rules, and include a ‘real world’ test.
- Support good practice among employers in promoting wellbeing and ensure people with mental health problems get the help they need to stay in or find work, with a ‘wellbeing premium’ to reward employers who take clear action to measurably improve the health of their employees.
Read the Liberal Democrats' manifesto