This page refers to our campaign for the General Election in 2017. Find out more about what we’re asking for in the 2019 General Election and how you can get involved. It’s time for leaders to press play on mental health.
- We will address the need for better treatments across the whole spectrum of mental health conditions.
- We will make the UK the leading research and technology economy in the world for mental health, bringing together public, private and charitable investment.
- We will also reform outdated laws to ensure that those with mental illness are treated fairly and employers fulfil their responsibilities effectively. We will introduce the first new Mental Health Bill for thirty-five years, putting parity of esteem at the heart of treatment.
- We will make sure there is more support in every part of the country by recruiting up to 10,000 more mental health professionals.
- We shall require all our medical staff to have a deeper understanding of mental health and all trainees will get a chance to experience working in mental health disciplines.
- We will legislate to give unemployed disabled claimants or those with a health condition personalised and tailored employment support.
- We will transform how mental health is regarded in the workplace by considering the findings of the Stevenson-Farmer Review into workplace mental health support.
Read the Conservatives' manifesto