Recreational drugs and alcohol

Explains the mental health effects of recreational drugs, what might happen if you use recreational drugs and also have a mental health problem, and suggestions for where to find support.

Your stories

One more pint

Tom blogs about how using alcohol to mask his depression lead to the loss of something very important to him.

Posted on 22/02/2017

Bipolar and alcohol

Jonny vlogs on coping with bipolar and alcoholism.

Mental Health Selfies
Posted on 06/02/2017

Useful contacts

Services for people who are dependent on drugs and alcohol, and their families.

Support and information for family and friends of people with drug or alcohol problems.

Alcoholics Anonymous

0800 9177 650 (helpline)
National network of local Alcoholics Anonymous groups.

British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)

0161 705 4304
Details of accredited CBT therapists.

Club Drug Clinic

020 3315 6111 (advice line)
For anyone concerned about their use of recreational drugs.

Cocaine Anonymous UK

0800 612 0225 (helpline)
Help for anyone who wants to stop using cocaine.

Aims to reduce alcohol misuse and harm.

Information about drugs.

Information about psychoactive substances, including prescribed drugs.

Families Anonymous

0845 1200 660 (helpline)
Self-help groups for families and friends of people with a drug problem.


0300 123 6600
Comprehensive information about recreational drugs, and free 24-hour helpline.

Government web page on the law on drugs and driving.

Marijuana Anonymous

0300 124 0373 (helpline)
Help for anyone worried about cannabis use.

Narcotics Anonymous

0300 999 1212
User-led group of men and women who support each other to stop using drugs.

National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)
Provides guidance on health and social care.

NHS Choices
Includes advice on stopping smoking and advice for students on smoking, alcohol and drugs.

Progress – National Consortium of Consultant Nurses in Dual Diagnosis and Substance Use
Website for nurses, which includes information for people with dual diagnosis.

Public Health England
Information page and support for people addicted to drugs.

Turning Point
Provides services for people with drug, alcohol and mental health problems.

This information was published in November 2016. We will revise it in 2019.

Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today