Mental health and the courts

Answers some of the common questions about mental health and the courts and explains the options available.

Your stories

Who would believe me?

Posted on 07/10/2013

Useful contacts

Mind’s Legal Line

PO Box 277, Manchester M60 3XN
tel: 0300 466 6463

Offers information and advice on any aspect of mental health law.

Citizens Advice (CAB)

web: or 

Provides free, confidential and independent advice from over 3,000 locations, including GP surgeries, hospitals and prisons. See website or the phone book for your local office.

Care Quality Commission

tel. 03000 616161 

A statutory government body for England to ensure that patients are properly detained, aware of their rights and properly cared for by the hospital.

Community Legal Advice

tel: 0845 345 4345 

Available in local libraries. Lists the publicly funded lawyers and advice agencies in your area that can advise you

Healthcare Inspectorate Wales

tel: 029 2092 8850 

Regulates and improves the quality of health and social care and looks after the interests of patients detained under the Mental Health Act in Wales

The Law Society

tel: 020 7242 1222 

For the names of solicitors to represent you at a Mental Health Tribunal

Revolving Doors Agency

tel: 020 7253 4038 

For people with mental health problems in contact with the criminal justice system


Published 2010

See our guidance on reproducing our information.

Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today