Human Rights Act 1998

A general guide to the Human Rights Act, with information about your human rights and what you can do if someone doesn’t respect them. Applies to England and Wales.

Useful contacts

Civil Legal Advice

0845 345 4345

The Civil Legal Advice can tell you if you’re eligible for legal aid and can give you free and confidential legal advice in England and Wales.

The Equality and Advisory Support Service

Tel: 0808 800 0082
Text: 0808 800 0084
Monday–Friday 9am–8pm
Saturday 10am–2pm

The helpline can advise and assist you on issues relating to equality and human rights, across England, Scotland and Wales.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission

The Equality and Human Rights Commission is responsible for promoting and monitoring human rights, and to protect, enforce and promote equality.


020 7263 1111

INQUEST provides specialist advice on cases involving a death in custody or detention or involving state failures. This includes a death that has occurred in prison, policy custody or immediately following police contact, immigration detention or psychiatric care. You can get advice by submitting a query form.

The Law Society

020 7242 1222 (England)
029 2064 5254 (Wales)

The Law Society provides details of solicitors you can get in touch with for specialist legal advice.


0845 123 2307 
or 020 3145 0461 (Monday and Thursday 6.30pm–8.30pm, Wednesday 12.30pm–2.30pm)

Liberty provides human rights advice by telephone and in writing. You can get written advice by submitting a query form.

Where can I get support?

Local Mind

Local Minds support over 280,000 people across England and Wales. Their services include supported housing, crisis helplines, drop-in centres, employment and training schemes, counselling and befriending. They may be able to help you find advocacy services in your area. Find your local Mind here.

Find an advocate

An advocate is a person who can both listen to you and speak for you in times of need. Having an advocate can be helpful in situations where you are finding it difficult to make your views known, or to make people listen to them and take them into account.

For information on advocacy services and groups in your area, you could start by contacting the Mind Legal Line and your local Mind.

Read more about how advocacy might help you.


This information was published in August 2017. We will revise it in 2019.


Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today