Discrimination when buying, renting or living in property

Explains what laws protect you from discrimination when you buy, rent, or live in a property (or place), what you can do if you have been discriminated against, and where you can get support and advice. Applies to England and Wales.

Useful contacts

Citizens Advice

03444 77 20 20 (Wales)
03444 111 444 (England)
TextRelay users should call 03444 111 445

Provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

Civil Legal Advice (CLA)

0845 345 4345

The Civil Legal Advice can tell you if you’re eligible for legal aid and can give you free and confidential legal advice in England and Wales.

Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC)


The Equality and Human Rights Commission is responsible for promoting and monitoring human rights, and to protect, enforce and promote equality

Law Centres Network


Law Centres offer legal advice, casework and representation to individuals and groups. To find your local Law Centre, you can look at their interactive Google map or see the Law Centres list.

The Law Society

020 7242 1222 (England)
029 2064 5254 (Wales)

The Law Society provides details of solicitors in your area that you can contact for specialist legal advice.



LawWorks is a legal charity that lists on its website the Free Legal Advice Clinics in England and Wales. These clinics can give you one-off, face-to-face advice if you have legal problems about consumer disputes, housing, social welfare law or employment.

Office for Disability Issues


This is part of the Department of Work and Pensions and supports the development of policies to remove inequality between disabled people and non-disabled people. It has produced useful guidance on how you work out whether you have a disability.


8am–8pm on weekdays and 8am–5pm on weekends, 365 days a year

0808 800 4444

0845 075 5005

Shelter offers free, expert housing advice. They have a free helpline as well as face-to-face advice centres up and down the country.

Where can I get support?

Local Mind

Local Minds support over 280,000 people across England and Wales. Their services include supported housing, crisis helplines, drop-in centres, employment and training schemes, counselling and befriending. They may be able to help you find advocacy services in your area.

Find your local Mind here.

Find an advocate

An advocate is a person who can both listen to you and speak for you in times of need. Having an advocate can be helpful in situations where you are finding it difficult to make your views known, or to make people listen to them and take them into account.

For information on advocacy services and groups in your area, you could start by contacting the Mind Legal Line and your local Mind.

Read more about how advocacy might help you.


This information was published in December 2017. We will revise it in 2019.

Mental Health A-Z

Information and advice on a huge range of mental health topics

> Read our A-Z


Helping you to better understand and support people with mental health problems

> Find out more

Special offers

Check out our promotional offers on print and digital booklets, for a limited time only

> Visit our shop today