Get help now Make a donation

Help if you're a victim of crime

If you've been a victim of crime or know someone who has, this page can help you in:

Reporting a crime

If you’re living with a mental health problem and have been a victim of crime, or know someone who has been and want to report it, please call the police on 101

Finding support

If you need to talk to someone about dealing with the crime, Victim Support offers:

  • Emotional support, for example coping with the after-effects of crime
  • Practical help, for example getting locks changed or help filling in forms for Insurance and compensation
  • Advice on dealing with the police
  • Help finding a counsellor

Mind infoline may also be able to offer advice and support. You can contact them on 0300 123 3393 or email [email protected].

Making a complaint about the police

If you (or someone you know) have been treated inappropriately by a police officer, or a member of police staff, or you witnessed an incident of inappropriate behaviour, you can make a complaint to the

There are a number of ways to make a complaint.

  1. If the police force concerned has an online complaints form, you can do it there. You can also make a complaint in person at the police station. Find your local police station here.
  2. Alternatively, you can contact the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). The IPCC is entirely independent of police, government and complainants in its decision making. You can use the IPCC’s online complaints form or call them on 0300 020 0096 (press 1 at the prompt) 9.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday for advice.
  3. If you have an advocate, they may be able to assist you in making a complaint, depending on their contract.
  4. You can contact your MP to make a complaint on your behalf. You can find out the name and contact details of your MP by visiting TheyWorkForYou and entering your postcode.
  5. If you are considering legal action against the police, the Civil Legal Advice service can put you in touch with lawyers who may be able to help. They can be contacted on 0845 345 4345.

Other ways to get involved

arrow_upwardBack to Top