Local impact with our Ecominds champions
Thank you to all our Ecominds champions
In spring 2012 we recruited a team of volunteer campaigners to help us spread the word that being active outdoors can make us all healthier - particularly for people living with a mental health problem.
We know that:
- regular outdoor activities such as gardening, cycling, walking, or even that stroll in the park, help to lift mood, boost self confidence and self esteem
- meeting with other people during these activities can reduce isolation, helps the individual to develop support networks and helps to improve social skills
- supervised programmes of exercise can be equally effective as antidepressants in treating mild to moderate depression.
How our Ecominds champions helped
Our champions left posters and postcards at familiar locations in their neighbourhood. This helped us to bring the ‘Feel better outside, feel better inside’ message to a wider range of people thanks to their local knowledge.
Posters and postcards
We asked our champions to leave one poster and 10 postcards at five locations during the spring campign period, for example:
- Doctors/GP surgeries
- Schools, colleges or universities
- Libraries, museums and galleries
- Community centres, playgroups
- Cafés and leisure centres
- Your workplace
By just knowing more about the benefits of the great outdoors, our champions were able to speak about how it can boost mental wellbeing.
We want to work with our Ecominds champions again in future campaigns. If you are passionate about improving mental health, please get in contact.
To sign up as an Ecominds Champion just enter your details here: